Sunday, May 26, 2013

Harlem Shake

We spent a good portion of March watching girl's high school basketball.  All-American and Junior Olympian Becca Greenwell plays for Owensboro Catholic High School, which makes for pretty good local basketball. I took Riley and Macie to a couple of the regional games, then we made the state tournament more of a family affair.  Kentucky holds a true regional tournament.  School size makes no difference. At the state level there was an all girls private school with an enrollment of about 600, Owensboro Catholic, which may even be less, and teams from Louisville that have a few thousand kids enrolled.  It was really fun to watch. So much talent.  And real Division One talent, like talent headed to Duke, Tennessee, UConn, Louisville, etc.
One of the most entertaining parts was when the student sections competed in the Harlem Shake.
Now, I had heard of the Harlem Shake, but I just didn't get it.
Then it all made sense.
It was awesome.
It led to this on a Sunday afternoon:



Some state tourney pics from Riley's Ipod:
 The games were at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, which is about 45 minutes away. WKU is home of the Hilltoppers. Unfortunately Big Red, weirdest college mascot ever, wasn't around.




For Catholic's first round game I took Macie and Riley out of school.
When I got back from taking Macie to the bathroom, Riley had a big smile on her face and this picture on her Ipod.  I thought it pretty brave of her to go up and ask Becca for a picture.  When I questioned who had taken it, she replied, "I don't know. That girl over there."

It may seem weird, but Becca is a pretty big deal.  I think she ended up being ranked fourth in the nation.  And it is totally fine by me that the girls look up to her.  She is a great example of hard work, sportsmanship, and dedication. 
She is headed to Duke next year.  We are hoping Jabrari Parker converts her.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Love it when you post!

Taylor Kevan said...

Haha your Harlem Shake is the best. Loved it.

Kylie said...

why did I wait so long to watch that?! Pure awesome.