Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cross Country

Riley is running cross country with her school this year.  What that entails is one practice, purchasing a t-shirt and showing up to the four weekly races that they hold.  Macie also ran in the first race, but decided to sit this one out. 
It has been pretty fun.  The course is 3/4 of a mile.  There are four or five elementary schools that participate.  Riley runs with the K-2nd grade group.  At the meet yesterday there were 160 runners.  The first race was pretty experimental.  This time, she had a much better understanding of the distance and what was going on.  When she finished she said, "I am pretty sure I ran much faster this time!"
I have no idea how fast she ran the first race, but we clocked her yesterday at 6:34.




4 comments:

Pat said...

Riley, you are the woman!! Love you, Grandma

Buffy said...

Love this! After you said they had a cross country team on the Madsen blog I really wished Kade and Ty's school had something like that. That is such a great idea. Way to go Riley!! You're the cutest runner out there :)

Brian and Lauren said...

I had no idea they had such a thing for kids that young. That is really cool and Riley looks like a hard core athlete...just like her parents!

Margie said...

Hey Valerie...I've been going through your blog and it's very entertaining. You are hilarious!

I'm commenting on an earlier post...Blog vs Journal...I was thinking that with Riley's baptism coming up, it would be a perfect opportunity to be a member missionary by inviting some of her school friends to the baptism. I think that's such a non-threatening way of sharing your beliefs, plus Riley would love having her friends involved. It's hard living in the Bible Belt...especially far away from friends and family. Growing up in TX, I had some very spirited religious conversations with a few of my friends, but the thing is, you never know when you've planted a seed, even when you don't feel like you've done much. If you feel like sparking up a conversation about the church, just wear your Utah State shirt to Sam's Club. That usually gets attention.

I think your family is amazing. You have a great thing going, and I stand in awe of mothers like you. Here's to a good week!