Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving in the Boro

We had the missionaries and Jon and Elizabeth Cullen, who are new members, over for Thanksgiving. 
Of course I didn't buy our turkey in time to thaw it in the fridge, so I looked up how long to cook it starting from frozen.  Everything said time and a half, so we put the bird in the oven at 9 a.m. hoping to eat at four.  Well, I think it was more like 6:30 when we sat down 'round the table.  It was a long day, but it was good.  When we finally sat down I think we were all starving, so we appreciated it all the more.
We had the normal ham, turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, rolls, spinach salad, sweet potatoes, and, new to us, but apparently a staple Thanksgiving side dish in the South, macaroni and cheese. It was a lot of food. 

(Elder Thompson's plate.  I was impressed with his stacking skills.)
You know what is wierd?  Thanksgiving with no TV.  Yep, no football, no ELF, no nothing.  I wish we would have had some church approved movie like Johnny Lingo or something.  That would have been nice.

(Macie came home from school on Tuesday in this little Indian outfit.)
Before we all sat down to eat, I served the girls their plates.  We had arms folded and heads bowed for the prayer when Macie blurted, "What IS THIS?" as she pointed to her plate.
"Green bean casserole," I informed.
"I am not thankful for this."

Unfortunately we didn't think to take a family pic until people were half way
out the door and the kids were transitioning into pajamas. 
Note to self: take pictures before cooking for five hours.

We ended the day skyping with my family in Idaho Falls.  It didn't last long because there was a wacky delay and the kids were exhausted.  Riley cried when we ended because she missed everyone.  It led to a good talk about Kentucky and what the heck we are doing here, which was good for the both of us :) 

4 comments:

Trent said...

Love you guy s you are making priceless memories. I brined a butterball turkey for two days! Really moist but a little salty. Will do it again but use a fresh, uninjected turkey.

Jillian said...

Yum! That plate of food looks delish. My compliments to the chef!

Matt and Jessie said...

Hey, skype made my oldest cry on turkey day too! I agree that having to give them a pep talk also helps me re focus too! You are awesome! That meal looked amazing! Looks like the turkey was well worth the wait!

Buffy said...

The food looked so impressive. I wouldn't mind mac and cheese for thanksgiving :)