Saturday, June 22, 2013

Softball

Macie moved up to pitching machine this year and did really well.


I am pretty sure this is as intense as left field gets.

I got a little bit frustrated with her team because the coaches didn't really "coach" very well.  They had a couple of serious, competitive girls on the team that got all the attention.  Macie was one of the youngest players and didn't get a whole lot of instruction.  But she still had fun.  I think.

Riley's team from the previous two years was dismantled this year, which was a bummer.  They had all really gotten to know and like each other. Riley also moved up from pitching machine to girl pitch. Having the girl's fast pitch often meant a whole lotta walks...but there were a few hits here and there.



Riley usually played second base, and her coaches were awesome.  Coach Travis had the most moving pep talks. Todd and I usually had to split up, with one of us attending Macie's game and one attending Riley's. Macie's games were much more exciting, thanks to the pitching machine, but Riley's post game talks were right up there.  Todd admitted that once he was almost brought to tears.  One time, Coach Travis was talking to them about beating the undefeated team with a crazy good pitcher that no one could hit. He had me so motivated!  It was bizarre. He is a lawyer, and let me tell you, if I am ever in a bind, I feel like that man could win over any judge or jury!
Anyway, they were great at teaching the skills and concepts of the game.  Riley started off pretty shaky, but at the end of the year she got the most improved player award.  Coach Travis talked about how she was so coachable and did every little thing they asked her to.  Said she earned the right to play second base. 
 I cried.  



1 comment:

Par 5 said...

I'm crying. I want my girls to love sports.