Thursday, August 18, 2011

We like to knock our teeth out.



If you do recall, when Charlotte was about 16 months old she slipped in the bathroom, hit her teeth on the tub, and chipped her two front teeth.  I was horrified.  I cried.  Really, I did. I was so sad.  I took her to the pediatric dentist and they said there wasn't any nerve damage so they wouldn't do anything.  I envisioned her looking like a hillbilly until those two front teeth eventually came loose and fell out.  Well, it didn't turn out too bad.  It was a pretty straight cut across those two teeth.  I really don't even notice it these days.  And besides, we DO live in Kentucky.
Well, the day we arrived home from our trip to Idaho, Carver was crawling in the kitchen with something in his hand, somehow lost his "footing" (what else do I say here?), his hands slipped out from under him, and his face went into the tile floor. 
Chipped his two front teeth.
Not a clean cut.  He had serrated steak knives for teeth. 
He was harmful to himself and others.  He had quite a few bloody lips in the next few days, and I don't even think I need to explain how hazardous his bite was to the girls.  We were all on alert. 
He had his 16 month check-up in a few days, so I just waited to get her opinion.  Her opinion was that I should definitely take him to the pediatric dentist to have them filed down. 
I called, but it took us a few days to get in. Really, it was over two weeks before all was said and done.  By the time we got there, the teeth had actually dulled down quite a bit and were no longer pointy and sharp like unto shark teeth.  They still filed them down and we are all much safer.
A little before and after:
I told him to say cheese and he gave me that corny face in the second pic.  What a stud. 
He still isn't walking.  16 months now. 
He babbles all day long.  I love it.  He is always telling me something.

2 comments:

Matt and Jessie said...

Poor kid! We are there with ya! Tyler knocked out his bottom tooth when he was 15 months old, so he has had a nice toothless look for over 4 years now. Gotta love those rough boys! He is such a cutie!

Oh, has Macie adjusted to full day Kindergarten? Tyler has been to 1 week of full day. He loved the first few days, but by today he totally didn't want anything to do with school. Hopefully they adjust quickly!

Buffy said...

Poor little guy - your kids have had some bad luck with their teeth. I'm glad they are smoothed out now. It makes me cringe thinking of a bite with the sharp teeth - dull teeth hurt bad enough :)