Monday, June 27, 2011

The Beginning

Last week at work Todd heard the following from a co-worker:
"Todd, it is neither hunting season nor winter.  Why do you have a beard?"
Why, it's a Vacation Beard, of course!
We left Owensboro Saturday night at about 6:15.  Todd drove until about 9:30, after which I took my shift.  I have been staying up late the past few weeks painting and doing who-knows-what, so I was designated night driver.  I did great until I started to get a little sleepy around 11:30.  I think it is fair to say that between 11:30 and 1:00 I ate at least two pounds of peanut M&M's.  After that I got my second wind and was good until about 3:30.  Todd would dispute this, as he was awoken by a construction pylon hitting the passenger side mirror.  All I could do was laugh.  I was never sleepy and hazardous, the incident was merely a miscalculation on my part.  It was pretty funny.  For me, at least.
The girls were pretty good.  Riley and Macie fell asleep after the 9:30 stop, but Charlotte fought it until after 10:30 and then woke up a few times throughout the night to cry and whine. 
Carver was amazing and never made a peep.  What a stud. 
Everyone was awake by about six or seven.  We stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and got to Grandma and Grandpa Johnson's in Colorado about 10:30.  By far, the longest part of the trip was the last three hours.  I am now a proponent of night driving.  My children are much more lovely when they are asleep.
The girls are abusing Grandma Johnson and her snack cupboard for the day, then we are off to Utah tomorrow morning.  I am actually dreading this 8 hour drive, as the kids will be awake the whole time.




And just so I don't forget, last week Riley asked me, "Mom, so even if there weren't all these trees in Kentucky, THEN would we see the mountains?"

5 comments:

Jared said...

Todd's eyes are closed in the picture of him driving.

Red Head Family said...

Looks good-can't wait to see you!! Todd looks awesome!

BDawg said...

Todd was driving by beard at that point.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

Val-great updates...good luck on the drive, hopefully you're done now? The retaard post is HILARIOUS and where did you get that SWEET personalized batting helmet? Can't wait to see you SOON!

Matt and Jessie said...

How fun! I am sure you guys were so excited to be on your way! I am also a fan of the all night driving. We just drove the 13 hours to Idaho, and we drove while the kids slept. It was the only way to go with a baby!

It looks like you are having a blast with your families. I love your picture at the Salt Lake temple!

There is a chance we could end up in Kentucky next year, so I will have to get the scoop from ya!