Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day


The trip where my father saved the life of my children's father.



I was so proud of myself for clearing all the drop cloths and drying drawers out of the kitchen so I could put a Stoufers lasagna in the oven for Father's Day...then I read about Vegas steaks from Don's Meat and homemade rolls.  Oh well. I tried. 
I had (got?) to speak in church.
 I really don't mind speaking in church.  It is easier than sitting with the family and wrangling the kids.  I'll prepare a talk and sit on the stand any day. 
Of course, my topic was the eternal calling of fatherhood. 


I expressed that Dad taught me how to shoot a good jump shot and to stay out of debt - two things I will be eternally grateful for.  Thanks, Dad!
We gave Todd a bike.  A Giant.  It seemed fitting.  It is the first time he has had a bike since he was in junior high.  Poor tall people.  You really don't know how hard it is until you are married to one.  Now we can go on family rides.  We live right by the walking trail, and our ride last night was perfect.  We caught fireflies and everything. 
We also had to buy him a new GPS since ours was stolen out of his car a few weeks ago.  Ugh. 
I know we need one for the trip.  There is no way Todd would be confident sleeping while I navigate the roads between here and Utah.  We would end up in Minnesota or something crazy.
The painters put the last coat on the cabinets today.  I want to wait to post pics when we have all the knobs on and everything, and that won't be until we get back.  You have to let the paint cure for a week or two.  I learned some pretty valuable stuff from these painters.  It is definitely a job I could have done myself, but I am glad I didn't.  It was horrible to be without a kitchen for a week.  We ate at McDonald's WAY too much.  But, I guess if you did it yourself you could be a bit more organized and move the stuff to the garage to paint and dry. 
Good old George and Norman.  They are good guys.  I had some interesting religious conversations with them.  I am reminded, on a daily basis, that I do not know the Bible well enough.  I swear, people out here have it memorized cover to cover. 
It makes me feel pretty stupid.  On a good day, I can remember one or two scripture mastery verses...and that is a good day.
Obviously, I need to read my Scriptures more.  Obviously.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I love the pic of Todd and the kids! Beautiful!!
We didn't get steaks and rolls either, but g-ma Carver made us yummy chicken, so it was agood day.

Automobile Birdsinger said...

I am going to WILL your GPS to break and you end up lost in MN!!!!!:)

Valerie said...

Can you imagine if we just showed up on your doorstep one night? If it was just me it would be a real good time...but all of us? Crazy times.

Amy J said...

Cute cute cute picture of Toddy and the kiddos! :) Now that the painting is finished, am I going to be able to get some Skype time in with you guys before you hit the road?? Just over a week until I get to see you...YAY!!! <3

Buffy said...

Gosh you have a cute family - You guys are great! Yeah for Todd getting a bike! We love family bike rides - we went on the Legacy path a few weekends ago and went 9 miles with the kids.

Pat said...

What gorgeous grandchildren! Looks like 2 brunettes & 2 red heads! Love Grandpa M.