Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Every. Single. Day.

And I don't think it will ever get old.



In other news, I did something very unlike me.
I hired a decorator. 
Yep.  I did.
Now, before you get thinking what I know you are thinking, it only cost me $60 and it was worth EVERY PENNY.  I have this house full of mustard yellow and Christmas red paint.  Before we even bought this house I KNEW it had to be changed, but I have been frozen with fear for ten months.  I am so indecisive.  The area that needs to be painted consumes three living spaces - the family room, the kitchen, and the mud room.  And it will be a lot of work to paint.
And I don't want to mess it up. 
I want to get it right the first time and LOVE it.  I knew this was only possible if someone else told me what to do or at least confirmed that what I wanted to do was good. 
Yea for my new best friend Brian! (Who just happens to charge me by the hour to hang out.)
He confirmed that I was on the right track and told me what colors would work best.  Of course, I am still scared out of my mind, but I just have to keep reminding myself that Brian's taste rocks, he knows what I like and he has the vision of how I want it to look. (repeat, repeat, repeat.)
Yesterday I went over to the paint store to get my swatches.  I also decided to ask for some good, inexpensive painter references.  I got one bid and I actually toyed with the idea of hiring someone else to paint.  The  instant I even considered it, I had this sense of peace and calmness.  That moment of peace made me realize how wonderful it would be NOT to spend every night from eight to midnight for the next month painting! It was like this HUGE weight was lifted.  I was FREE!!  I was going to hire a painter!!!  Hallelujah!!!!
It makes me happy just thinking about it. 
(It makes Todd happy, too, because he knows how much work it would have been for him as well.) 
So, here is the before:


Here is the plan:
Walls-Benjamin Moore Gray Wisp (Sounds pretty drab, but it is light with some great green and even a little blue undertone.)
Island - Ben Moore Texas Sage with bead board (Earthy green.)
Fireplace walls - white with bead board
We are also painting the kitchen cabinets white. 
And, the part that makes me lose sleep at night, but I know will be so awesome...
the ceilings will be painted Mocha Cream. 
It's going to be so fresh and new and NOT red and yellow. 
Deep breath.
I have two more guys coming to make bids tomorrow and then I am getting this started ASAP...before I think about it too much and change my mind.

7 comments:

Red Head Family said...

Since you can't run you will redecorate huh!! Can't wait to see the finished project!! Some things are worth the price!! Then you can come here an tell me what to do in my house-haha!!

Maegan said...

Valerie, I think you have great taste! Very classy and fun which is why I am sure it will turn out fantastic!

BDawg said...

For fee, will Brain name children? ;)

Buffy said...

Yeah for you Val - Rich would NEVER let me hire out for someone to paint. I reallly want to hire someone to paint our entry because it is SO tall. I'm so excited to see before and after pictures. It sounds great!

Todd Johnson said...

Buffy, how are you going to paint the entry?
I would have never imagined I would let MYSELF hire painters, but now I am totally for it. It is going to be so nice to have it done. And painting the ceiling? No thanks. The cabinets? No thanks again.
Seriously freeing.

Pat said...

Awesome Val! You recognize this is not the "Madsen Way". Should be wonderful. Love DAD

Pat said...

Hey Johnsons! Riley. Totally cool video of your hit & base running. Carver is a handsome dude! Love you all. DAD