Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Progress...

 {Todd dutifully wrapping the island in bead board.}

{Notice the color on the ceiling.  It's all the rage these days.  Or at least that is what they tell me.}

This is only day two.  It feels like day two hundred.  Seriously.  I am going crazy.  I sit and get ulcers just thinking about all my stuff piled in the living room.  All my drawers emptied and my inability to use the kitchen.  It makes me bonkers. 
I am still trying to love the color on the walls.  It is just so weird.  Sometimes it is blue, other times green.  Make up your mind already!
And I stress about how I am going to find curtains to coordinate with such a color. 
Oh dear, did I say I am going crazy?
I have been up until midnight or later the past four nights painting all the trim and putting up the bead board. I don't think I've been up past midnight since my college days.  It doesn't help with my anxiety.  Add to it the fact that Charlotte was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday, Macie with an ear infection today, and Carver being uncharacteristically cranky  - and you have VAL ON EDGE.  It's not pretty.
I can only imagine if I would have tried to do this by myself.  The only thing keeping me going is knowing that it will all be over in a few days.
I have often wondered about all those ladies and their DIY decorating blogs.  It's like they are always up to something.  Somehow making their homes look like a page out of Pottery Barn, all with D.I. finds and some stuff from their garage.  I used to really envy that.  Not so much anymore.  Anytime I take on a project I just can't wait for it to get over!   Those ladies are crazy.  They have to be. 

9 comments:

Red Head Family said...

Totally agree-they are crazy-I'm not creative enough to think of how to make the project work in the first place!! I think it looks green. I like it-really I do. Keep it up and finish the project!!!! Good luck!

Buffy said...

I like the color - if you hired it out why are you up past midnight painting trim??? You could never live in my house - something is always in the half done phase. You would definitely have ulcers and anxiety being here. :) It doesn't bother me - that is probably not a good thing because then I am in no rush to finish it.

Amy J said...

It's lookin' good, Val! Hang in there...hopefully it'll be done before you know it! And I'll send lots of healthy vibes your way to get those kiddos healed up. Love you guys, and can't wait to see you all SOON! <3

Todd Johnson said...

Thanks girls! I needed a little pep talk. I hired out the painting of the walls, ceiling and all the cabinets and island, but left the trim to me...just trying to save a little. It had good paint on it, but the past paint job was horribly done and there was yellow paint all along the bottom of the crown and the top of the baseboards.
It wasn't much fun, but I am glad I did it. It looks nice and new :)
And Buffy, I can handle partially done projects - I have many of those in my garage and bedroom, but the kitchen is a different story. We toasted bagels in my bedroom this morning for breakfast, hit up the free school lunch program for lunch and will have to have Mcdonalds or pizza for dinner. Which, by the way, did you know Happy Meals are only $1.99 after 5pm? I think that is a pretty good deal!

Todd Johnson said...

Are they that price in Utah and Idaho? Maybe it is a regional thing. McDonalds is like a part of the culture here. There is always a line through the parking lot and into the street at the drive-in. It is crazy.
I think there are four McD's here and only one Burger King. Makes me sad. If I am going to indulge in fast food, I would much rather have a Whopper.

Ali said...

It looks fantastic! I love the wall color. I agree about those blog women. They're all nuts. I love the cabinets and plan on using your picture to prove to Brad that painted cabinets do look awesome.

When do you all get here?

Jillian said...

ohhhh I feel so normal. Thank you for that. I totally agree the blog ladies are CRAZY. I love the color I think it looks great and I am not gonna lie you are making me look at my house and think about painting. Can't wait to see you!!!!

Buffy said...

I agree Val - having the kitchen out of order would be a nightmare. Most of the rooms that are 1/2 done in my house are rooms I hardly ever go.

Jeff and Rose said...

I'm so jealous that you got someone else to paint your cabinets. I have to do it myself and I know that I will need to be heavily medicated. It is looking great--you'll love it in the end!