Saturday, June 18, 2011

Don't retire in Kentucky

I have to share this funny story.  Our main painter, George, has a helper painter, Norman, who comes for a couple of hours each day.  Norman is old.  And he has a thick accent. 
George introduced me to Norman and Norman said, "Ya know, I'll only be here for a couple a hours cause I'm retaard."
Huh?  I just kind of looked at him and nervously smiled.
"Ya know, when you're retaard ya can only work a few hours a day."
I cringed a little bit, but then I realized he wasn't being horribly honest about his abilities, he was saying he is RETIRED.
It was so awkward.  I swear, he said "retaard" a dozen more times while he was here and every time it was weird.  By the fifth or sixth time I had to stop myself from giggling when he would say it. 

4 comments:

Reesa said...

Bahahaha! That's hilarious! When I first moved here I worked with a girl from the backwoods of KY. She told me that her "mama done did grow up in the holler."
What? What is a holler? I finally found out that she was saying "hollow" which is what they call a valley. Bahahahaha! People here also call grocery carts "buggies." I'd never heard that before.

Buffy said...

That is funny - made me laugh out loud :)

Automobile Birdsinger said...

funny, funny!! Tell them to hurry up and finish so we can see the pictures!:)

Jeff and Rose said...

It really is funny. laugh away!