Monday, May 16, 2011

Dear Jaimee and Megan...

And Nancy and Elizabeth and Matthew and Paige and Reese and Paisley and Emory and Kayla and Daisy and Aspyn and Kaden and on and on and on...

 We miss you a lot.  Too much, in fact.  I got a sweet letter from Reese and Nancy last week and it made me cry.  I cried because I miss being surrounded by my friends, but I mostly cried for my girls.  I know they miss going out the front door and walking less than a block to play with any number of their friends.  That was such a blessing.  I knew it at the time and I knew it would be hard to leave; I just hoped we would move to a neighborhood full of new little friends.  We bought this house in this neighborhood with that in mind.  Unfortunately there isn't a kid to be seen in our neck of the woods. We are still told that there are lots of kids in our neighborhood, but it is hard to meet them when we don't go to church with them and they aren't in the same grade as Riley at school.  I have also been told that a lot of the kids in our neighborhood go to the Catholic school.  We are bound and determined to meet all of these kids at the pool this summer. It's either that or start knocking on doors!
I also talked with Jaimee last night, which I don't do enough, but it is hard.  I admitted to her that sometimes it is just easier to pretend my Idaho friends don't exist.  That way I don't miss them.  Selfish, yes,  but it works.  I always miss them more after I talk to them. Last night I dreamt about running with Jaimee, her leaving me in the dust, while I huffed and puffed behind her.  Then we ran by the river and I mistakingly ate a little frog and puked - because it wouldn't be one of my dreams without something completetly crazy happening.
After my conversation with Jaimee I told Todd I was a little bit nervous about this summer.  I worry that after playing with Elizabeth and her cousins for a full month, Riley will just miss them all the more when we return to Kentucky.
We got Kade's Baptism invitation in the mail last week.  Riley tried her hardest to convince me that we could make it.  "It is on June 4th.  I get out of school on June 2nd!  That gives us two days to drive there!  PLEEAASE!!"
It broke my heart as she cried and pleaded with me.  I tried to explain that Dad has to work and that we would see them three weeks later.  I know she misses him.  She has been really strong, which I am so grateful for.  She has made some good little friends, but it isn't the same.  You can't just run on over after school for a bike ride.  Since her friends both have working parents, arrangements have to be made a day in advance so they can ride the bus together.  It is really frustrating for her. 
There is a big house for sale on our street and I seriously pray that a family with kids will move in.  Never mind that it has been for sale for over a year...it is possible.  Feel free to pray with me. 
Do I sound horrible and whiney?  I hope not.  We have been blessed to meet amazing people and to make some excellent friends.  It is just hard not to miss the ones we left behind. 

11 comments:

Buffy said...

Gosh Val - it makes me teary eyed just reading your post. I debated sending an invitation because I didn't want you to feel bad because you couldn't come - but I also wanted you to feel included. Maybe I should send you another invitation for a party I will make happen when you guys are here - then she can be excited over that :)

Red Head Family said...

OK no tears no tears no tears!!! I loved talking to you last night. I know it has to be hard but you will be able to endure this trial. We miss you too!! We'll take lots of pictures and make some good memories while you are hear. We love you and miss you too-by the way it's really you leaving me in the dust i'm sure!! and I'm glad you ate the frog not me!! See you soon (not soon enough)!

cardwellclan said...

Valerie, I miss you too even though I haven't seen you for a long time (and even though I don't live in Idaho)!! That was such a sweet post! Moving away from so many good friends has got to be really hard at times. Love you :)

Katy said...

Moving is hard, I know how you feel. It makes me sad when I think about how many good fiends my kids left behind. They have friends at school but not a really good buddy to call up to come play. I guess it makes me sad for them cause I had the same friends growing up and Love those memories and want my kids to have those type of relationships too. I'm hoping this summer they can find some kids in our neighborhood to play with. I have to remind myself that it takes time to form good friendships.......even for our kids.
Miss ya

BDawg said...

I shed a tear for Mr. Inflatable Shark. To this day, I refer to the pinnacle of any event as "riding the shark."

May your journey led you to many future shark rides, where ever they may be!

Also, did you hear about the suicide/murder of the family of 5 in Ammon? It was lead news here in Utah, we wondered if you caught wind of it.

Kylie said...

Oh gosh Val. I think you can have a pitty party anytime you want. I miss seeing your kids but I'm excited to see you in a month!
Brad- the shark is in our basement. You're welcome to come visit him.

Valerie said...

Buffy, I am glad you sent the invite. I hope I didn't make it sound like a bad thing. Kade looks so tough! What a stud :)

Katy, maybe you need to email me so we can be sad together. I guess I am not sad, but I have my moments. It is hard to see your kids lonely - I guess one advantage is that they are doing better at being friends with each other, but a bestie down the
street sure would help things out!

Brad, we hit the BBQ festival this weekend. There were people riding the shark all over the place.

Kylie, thanks for the positive attitude, but I have a feeling this summer won't be near as wonderful as we all think. The excitement will most likely wear off on day three, then we will probably just be annoying for the next three weeks. I'll try my hardest to prevent this, but no promises. ;)

Love you all -Val

BDawg said...

When I visit Mr. Inflatable Shark in Kylie's basement, I may become nostalgic for Kylie's basement. Ali and the kids are going to Idaho to see Ali's sister who is visiting from Minneapolis. Maybe I should move in with the shark for a weekend? Eh?

Kylie said...

Brad, I'm sure the shark wouldn't mind sharing a room with you one bit. Head on over, as long as you put the toilet seat down :)

Bean said...

Thanks Val!!! I've been crying all day! We miss you more than you know. I miss the late night visits! And I know Greg does too. Aspyn was asking about Riley the other day, and Kaden about Macey. It's still Val's house on the corner, and will always be Val's house. We can't wait to see you.

Trent said...

It should be noted that the origins of the shark were an indicator of future awesomeness. It was 100% funded through my winnings from the albertson's Idaho lottery vending machine. A real winner bought with winnings.