Thursday, May 5, 2011

Visitors

Last week we found three ducks resting in the shade under our front tree.  Our neighborhood has three or four ponds throughout, but we aren't that close to any of them.  I suppose these ducks had to waddle down the block and around the corner to get to us.

We left them alone for as long as the girls could possibly handle, then we headed outside with bread in hand.  The girls fed the ducks all their bread and then tried to get close.  Since these aren't exactly Idaho Falls Snake River Ducks, they didn't like the idea of the kids getting too close. 
Despite our overzealousness, they have been back three times. 
We fed them again earlier this week. 
Yesterday afternoon we noticed them resting again.  The girls all gathered at the front door window to get a closer look.  After awhile, those ducks woke up and made their way right up to our front door.  They waddled around on our doorstep pecking and quacking.  At that point I would not have been surprised if they had pecked their little beaks on our front door!  It was pretty funny. 
I told the girls we needed to name our new visitors. 
Is it so sad that I immediately thought of Rob, Big and Drama?  Yes.  Yes, it is. 
More cultured people are thinking of names from politics, religion or Shakespeare.  Me?  Not so much. 
Unfortunately we can't go with my trio, as there are two male ducks and one female.  I am resisting the urge to go with Rob, Big and Chantel. I'm okay with this combo, as I don't really care for Drama, and Chantel totally won me over after repeatedly getting smacked in the face with the dodge ball.  Girl Power.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

ha, ha - the dodge ball episode was hilarious!