Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thoughts

You haven't experienced thunder until you've lived in Kentucky.  I can't believe how loud it gets. We have thunder that literally shakes the windowpanes.  It's like you can feel it in your guts.  And it is always at night.  Like a bomb going off.  It's crazy. 
I don't mind it; I actually think it is kind of cool.  The girls, on the other hand, not so much.  Of course it is horrifying to them, and I totally understand that.  Maybe they will eventually sleep through it.  Hope so.

I have a stress fracture in my foot.  Well, in my fibula, which is rather rare, because it isn't a weight bearing bone.  Now, I haven't had this confirmed by a medical professional, but I am sure of it.  I Googled it.

"Stress fractures are among the most common sports injuries and are frequently managed by family physicians. A stress fracture should be suspected in any patient presenting with localized bone or periosteal pain, especially if he or she recently started an exercise program or increased the intensity of exercise."

I have all the symptoms and the injury came right when I got into exercising after having Carver.  Normally I start with a gradual exercise routine, but I put it off so long that I was eager to jump right in.  Instead of gradually increasing my running mileage and intensity, I started with some interval training because I was so pumped after reading this article.  I jumped on the treadmill and did one minute of walking followed by one minute of sprinting, continued for twenty minutes.  Apparently the sprinting was too much too fast.  Enter weird ankle pain.  It didn't seem serious, as it was just a dull, weird pain.  It didn't swell, and I couldn't really notice increased pain with any certain activity.  I stopped the sprinting and started doing Jillian Michael's shred and yoga videos (which I love), but then I also kept doing a 5 mile weekend run.  The weird pain persisted for months and then, because I was most likely compensating, I started to get knee and back pain on the same side.  Since I don't want to be in pain for the rest of my life, I figured I had better keep off it.  I stopped exercising, but how do you stay off an ankle when you have to continue life with holding kids, grocery shopping, vacuuming, mopping, etc.?
I don't know how effective it has been.  I haven't "exercised" in almost three weeks.  I think it is getting better, but not much.  It still aches a bit and is tender to the touch.  Now I have lost all my hard-earned flexibility and muscle tone.  And I've gained a good four pounds.  It is sad.  I can't decide if I should keep resting it.
Continue to get flabby and maybe it gets better? or Get back in the routine, feel better, and maybe it gets worse?
Ugh.

8 comments:

Amy J said...

Although I am a big fan of Google to find answers, I would suggest going to a doctor to see what is going on! Maybe they can give you some exercises you could do (biking?? swimming??) that would be doable with your injury, and/or give you a time frame for how long you need to stay off of it. You should listen to me...I watched ER for YEARS, so I'm practically a doctor! And don't forget, I also volunteer in a hospital! ;) Love you, Val! Take care of yourself! <3

Ali said...

I tried to leave you a long comment and blogger ate it.

Long story short, three doctor appointments followed by a month off and I still have my fracture.

You should go get it checked, then maybe we'll be sporting lovely matching broken-foot boots this summer.

Valerie said...

Dr. Amy, I have gone back and forth on it. At first I was going to, but after I diagnosed myself :) I realized that all they would tell me to do was rest it. And really, my diagnosis is worst case scenario. But I am pretty sure of it. How it happened and how it feels are exactly what Dr. Google tells me.
Stress fractures don't show up on x-rays, so the doc couldn't even give me a definite answer without doing bone scans and other ridiculous things.
Oh well. I will survive either way.

Valerie said...

Ali, what the? You have to wear a boot? I HAVE to hike Table Rock this summer. That is my one main concern!

Valerie said...

Wait, Ali. Tell me about it. I thought you had a bone spur or something else.
Email me if blogger doesn't cooperate. :)

Brian and Lauren said...

I love reading your blog! We sure miss you guys! Your girls are getting so big! Brian and I watch a video called, Signing Times and we just swear Charolette is on the video. Is she...? Or is it just a complete look alike? Miss ya!

Valerie said...

Lauren, it isn't Charlotte so she must have a twin. I am going to have to take a look and see :)
We miss you guys too!

Ali said...

Email Sent