Monday, May 9, 2011

I am a Mother.

I feel fortunate and blessed to have children.  I always assumed I would spend my years bearing and mothering children, and I am thankful that it was a fairly easy process for us.  Being a mom is everything I thought it would be, and a little bit of some things I didn't think it would be. 
I can say that I put a lot of effort into raising my kids, but lately I have wondered if I put enough thought into it.  My cousin, Rose, really got me thinking about this.
I go about my days mothering, but I rarely start my day with a goal  in mind that doesn't have to do with laundry or other household tasks.   Of course I want my kids to be honest and loving and hard working, but what am I doing to get them there?  I feel like I need a plan.
  My plan already includes things like having dinner together as a family, holding family home evening, attending church together, etc..   But I need to be more deliberate in daily mothering.  I need to listen more.  I need to focus on each child and make the one-on-one time I have with each child quality time.  I need to say yes more.   
I am going to start by making a"deliberate mothering" goal each day.  I will write it down - or maybe tell Todd each morning; that way I am accountable to more than a piece of paper.  
Most importantly, I need to be more sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit.   I know that this would solve the majority of my concerns.  If I am living righteously and listening to the Spirit, I know that Heavenly Father will guide me in what I do. He will tell me in my heart and mind when I need to drop what I am doing and listen, or what I need to do to comfort one of the kids.  He will guide me in all I do and say.
 Can't really go wrong there. 
So really, I probably need a daily "deliberate mothering" goal and a daily spiritual goal. 
(Ugh.  This is not how I had this planned out in my mind when I started typing.)
So, here goes...

12 comments:

Bean said...

Hey Val!!! Wow your family dance was amazing!!! Greg and I giggled and giggled. We hope that you are doing great! It's fun seeing what you are up to.

BDawg said...

What happened to Todd's post?

Valerie said...

Brad, spousal confessions of love are strictly banned from this blog.

Valerie said...

Megan, Greg's mullet was the inspiration for Todd's costume. We miss you guys SOOO much!

BDawg said...

I just assumed Todd had forgotten Mother's day, and the sappy post was his back up plan.

Amy J said...

Oh man...I'm sorry I missed the spousal confession of love! Can we get a temporary re-post?? :) Please know that some of us would give large sums of money to have a spousal confession of love written about us on a blog. ;) Keep us posted on what kind of goals you make and how it goes! You are a good mommy, Val! I'm glad my cute nieces and nephew have such a loving mom and dad to raise them, and a happy home to live in! <3

BDawg said...

I'll try to re-create Todd's love-confessions:

Val, you gave birth to my children, because you love me, I guess. We used to live some other places, now we live in Kentucky. Our love is more than just for beef jerky. Sorry I hacked your account, please don't take this down. Will you love me too?

I'm pretty sure that was exactly it.

Amy J said...

Just one thing I think you forgot, Brad...he probably signed it, like he signs his e-mails "Todd Johnson" to me...his very own sister. Not sure what's going on there, but I love his guts, so I'm willing to put up with his adorable quirkiness! :)

Valerie said...

I don't even know what to say.
Oh wait, yes I do. If that is what the love confession said, I would have left it up.

Buffy said...

I thought the love confession was sweet - it made me wish Rich would write a love confession to me :)

BDawg said...

I may need to start a service ghost-writing love confessions. Sounds like they are in high demand. As I showed with Todd, I can probably improve on the confessors material.

Valerie said...

Brad, practice on Ali for a bit, then have her let us know how it is working out.